Friday, August 26, 2005

Motta Men



Last night, my friend Anne and I were simply peeking in a church in the nearby town of Motta St. Anastacia, commonly called Motta (MOE-tuh) by all the Americans, when we were singled out by some of the locals. I guess that they saw I had a camera, because they insisted that I take a photo of their church "to take back to America." At least, that's what we think they were saying, as it was all in Italian and seemed to make sense in context. As usual, they were sitting on kitchen chairs right on the street, watching traffic and life go by. In Motta, there are few sidewalks, squares, or parks, so people just take their kitchen chair out on the streets and sit in the summer evenings. These four gentlemen were quite proud of their church, St. Anthony of Padua, which was very unusual, with an exterior that looked like it was banged out of aluminum foil. Anyway, I pretended to know what they were saying and gestured for them to get into the photo. They posed proudly, and this photo was the result--a very good representation of Motta in summer.

2 Comments:

At August 27, 2005 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. What a relaxing way to spend the evening. There's nothing better than just sitting outside and chatting.

 
At January 10, 2006 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful picture! I just want to let you know that the church is called St Anthony of Padova and not Padua; I know because I am Italian and I was raised in Motta, and that was the church that I always attended when I was a kid!!
Thank you for bringing back my memories!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home