Sunday, January 08, 2006

{{{{{{{EARTHQUAKE}}}}}}}}

I went into school a mid-day to get some things ready for my sub tomorrow. I was in my classroom on the second floor of a four-story concrete and brick building only a few years old when the building definitely started to sway . . . one, two, three, four times! I grabbed my jacket and glasses and was about to run outside when it stopped.

A little later, my friend called and said it had caused her recliner, sun-catcher, and wind chimes to rock and roll, too.

When I got home, I had an email from a friend asking me if I had felt the earthquake they had in GREECE but felt as far away as ITALY. It turns out it was a 6.9 level earthquake that was 40 km (or 26 miles) deep! Geesh! If you click on that link and then put your cursor to the right of the bottom righthand corner of the picture (by the EMSC), you'll get a magic button to click and expand it. Then you can see that the tectonic plate boundaries run from the center of the quake right over to Sicily and Catania/Mount Etna. Aren't we lucky?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home