Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mojitos on the Med

My friends Jan and Flint gave a great Mojito party this afternoon. I brought up the idea of making Mojitos soon after arriving back in Sicily two weeks ago. I had a couple of them on the flight (a Delta special!) after being introduced to them by my daughter Alison. It just so happened that Jan and her friend Theresa were Mojito aficionados and experts! So, Jan volunteered to create a party around the Mojitos, which came to reality today as about ten of us gathered at her house for brunch and Mojitos.

I had volunteered to locate fresh mint, which I did with no small amount of trouble via my local produce vendor and his wife (now friends of mine). They gave me some of their very own growing mint plants.

Theresa (left), who is already enjoying her last year of teaching before retirement, played the role of "muddler" and also made the simple syrup needed for this drink. I think this might become her part-time job in retirement.

The drink has Cuban origins, I learned, and is comprised of mint leaves, fresh lime, club soda, sugar or simple syrup, ice, and rum. It has to be made in a certain order and "muddled" (aka mashed together) at a certain point. This website gives you all the details. It seems this was another favorite of Hemingway (along with the Bellini and others).

Jan and Flint have a beautiful view of the Med from their balcony in Aci Trezza, and today it was so clear that you could see mainland Italy! Anyway, I think this is the perfect way to spend a Sunday in September in Sicily. If you haven't tried a Mojito, I recommend it. You'll have to find your own perfect place and playmates, though.

3 Comments:

At September 03, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Sicilian Mama said...

I Love Mojitos! I have a grogeous real wood muddler, though, made by Woodduflo (www.woodduflo.com) Ok, that's my sister's business.

 
At September 04, 2006 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maryellen, that you live such a dull life brings tears to my eyes! Oh, perhaps those tears are tears of envy! What fun and what a gorgeous view from the terrace. Thanks and keep sharing your adventures. I love it.

bp

 
At September 04, 2006 7:58 AM, Blogger Maryellen Pienta said...

Hey, BP, Flint and Jan are going to retire near you some day, so I'll be visiting there for Mojitos! mp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home