Friday, September 16, 2005

Jehovah's Witnesses Alive in Sicily

Yes, believe it or not, they are alive and well in Sicily and even way up here on Mt. Etna. I was taking a nap after a hard day/week at school when my gate bell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone, but I buzzed it open and then padded outside to see who it might be. I saw a man and a woman standing outside the gate, way down the driveway by the street. So I spoke loudly to them, "Can I help you?" They came up the driveway and I could see that I did not know them. It took about two seconds to realize who/what they were with their clean-cut appearance, tracts in pocket, and Bible in hand. Luckily, I have fool-proof way of dealing with them. No matter what they say, my polite, calm answer is "I already have a religion, thank you." The man asked me what is was and I said Catholic. Oh, they spoke English and had blue eyes, by the way. He then asked me if I believed something about Jesus and God and the end of the world, and I answered, "Yes." Then they didn't really know what to do. So, he chose a passage from the Bible to read on the same subject (death) and I told him it was beautiful, thank you, and good luck. Off they went, puzzled, I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home